søndag 22. februar 2009

Malibu - english

Thursday, I decided to do some sight-seeing along the Pacific Coast. As I mentioned, San Pedro is by the coast and on a half-island. There´s a (high)way along the entire coast, through Santa Monica Beach in Los Angeles and onto Pacific Highway 1 to Malibu and further up the coast. This Highway is a tourist attraction in itself! And I must say it was very beautiful. The weather was nice and I passed some very beautiful housing areas before reaching LA. I stopped by a park and sat down by a cliff to listen to the ocean for a while. This was the edge of the half-island and you get a great view in the LA-bay towards the beaches and along the coast to Malibu on the opposite side. I heard that Malubi is a beautiful place where you find the properties of some TV-stars and other celebrities. So I thought it was worth a visit. It was gorgeous, but a bit annoying to drive along the coast like that. Stop signs and lights everywhere. But I suddenly reached Santa Monica and entered the Pacific Highway 1. I was haunted by hunger and made the GPS find a nearby restaurant. I chose Asian today. Vietnamese to be exact. 

Then I drove a bit further and reached the downtown of Malibu. Well downtown.. Since this is along the coast and you have a line of mountains behind, the housing will be along the coastal length. (I´ve never heard anyone use the term "coastal length," but you get the picture... maybe I just invented something new in English. As Victor Borge always said: Hey.. it´s your language, I´m just trying to use it.) So Malibu is not exactly a compact town. Everybody wants to either live by the coastal length (hehe..) or have a view... But oh my, you have some marvelous houses there with great gardens and locations! On the way back I hit the rush hour.. big time. According to my GPS, I would be back in around 30 minutes. But it took more like 1.5 hours. Park and ride on a 7 lane freeway.. there you have LA traffic! And ofcourse, everybody here is very "individualistic," so there is only 1 person in each car. And because of status, they need big cars too. It´s not so much "HAHA, I have a bigger car than you." But they need to have a good overview and feel safer in bigger cars. Psychology... And interestingly enough, women are worse than men in that matter. Could a bigger, safer car be a compensation of their inner insecurity? Personally I feel safer with a smaller car which I can feel in control of rather than a big car you can´t control. It also gives me a better feel for the road. Oh well.. different tastes and opinions. Just another way of controlling. 

So we can all agree that it was a nice day! 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar